- 350g salt cod ( 3 fillets reconstituted weight) - cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions - thickly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed and chopped
- 4 large tomatoes - skinned and de-seeded (or use tinned)
- 2 green peppers - de-seeded and sliced
- 250ml white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato pureé
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bayleaf
- fresh parsley and thyme - a big handful
- 5-6 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs stirred into 2 tablespoons oil
- freshly ground pepper
Heat the oil and cook onions, garlic, tomatoes and peppers without browning for about 15-20 minutes
Add the herbs, wine, sugar and tomato pure and bring to a steady simmer. Add a little of the fish cooking water if necessary.
Put half the mixture into an ovenproof dish, lay on the fish then add the rest of the mixture.
Top with the breadcrumbs and brown under a hot grill.